Monday, August 3, 2009

Exciting changes to HOW 2

Ever had a great idea that makes you feel stupid?

Like strawberry wine, those types of ideas are indeed bittersweet. Sweet, that they're great ideas and that you thought of them.

Bitter, in that why didn't you think of them in the first place?

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting with Maria Catron of KHRA and Fresh Start Foundation, to discuss the possibility of starting up a HOW 2 program at a Kingsport location. We had a great meeting - I think HOW 2 in Kingsport has a very bright future ahead of it. We're working out the details now, so stay tuned.

However, when we got to the topic of how we'd offer HOW 2 in K-Town, I proudly presented the (at the time) current schedule for Johnson City's HOW 2 program. For those of you who don't know, up until a few days ago, we offered a workshop on the third Thursday of each month and a maintenance course on the fourth.

Maria took a look at it, made some approving comments on the content, then questioned whether we could offer the program on two dates in Kingsport. I agreed, and together we came to the conclusion that we should offer a single combined two hour class, covering both the workshop topic and the maintenance topic.

After our meeting I began the 20 minute drive to JC, feeling satisfied. Somewhere during the commute it hit me.

Why not just offer one class in Johnson City too?

Gosh, it makes so much sense when you say it. Instead of asking folks to come twice a month for two one-hour classes, just ask them to come to one two-hour workshop! Brilliant!

Why didn't I think of that in the first place?

I think I'll exclude incompetence, to help keep my self-esteem up. I could go with the fact that I honestly didn't think about until I was almost four months into the program, but that doesn't make me sound too good either.

Maybe it has something to do with us starting the maintenance course portion of HOW 2 a couple of months after we launched the workshop portion. That might work.

Whatever the reason, HOW 2 is now combined into one workshop, covering homeowner issues and maintenance all in one night. You're invited - every third Thursday at 6 p.m.

Just try to be nice to me when you get here - I really didn't think about it!

Cheers,

2 comments:

  1. I think this will work great! I hate I missed the last one...the one I needed the most :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry - I think we're going to do it again in December! :-D

    ReplyDelete