Thursday, August 27, 2009

It really does work!

Sometimes it's better to be a participant than a host.

I discovered that last Thursday, when Chad Head from ETSU led us in a maintenance course covering plumbing. As I've said previously, I know NOTHING about plumbing, so when Chad started talking I, who normally plays the happy host, sat down and shut up.

It's funny - I understand why Eastern Eight is sponsoring this program. We want to help new homeowners feel secure in their finances, community and the physical structure of their homes. I've always had the knowledge that that was a good thing.

But Thursday, I put myself in the shoes of the homeowner and realized just how wonderful this program is (in my humble opinion).

Everything I needed to know about plumbing, I learned Thursday night. I had always thought plumbing was difficult and too big for me to learn, but Chad made it all seem easy. He gave examples, showed us how to do everything and answered all of our questions.

I can now confidently say that I can fix all of the most common plumbing problems, saving myself time and money because I don't have to call a plumber.

And that's quite a feat for me. I never thought I'd be able to understand any of this. Now I don't understand why I thought I couldn't.

I can't wait until the next course.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment